An accounting of some ventures in the life of grandma and grandpa for the kids, grandkids, friends and those who drop by for a visit.

Friday, August 10, 2007

The flute arrives






As I have already related, my wife has won an Indian flute. Knowing nothing about how to play the Indian flute adds to the mystery of winning this beautiful crafted flute. You know that little carved bear on the top of the flute near the mouth piece? Well, that moves. It has to be moved to uncover one of the holes (it covers two holes) before one can blow a note. Trial and error done over and over and we might play a tune yet.




Learning to play a tonette was mandatory in my fifth grade class in Valparaiso, Indiana. Probably worthwhile except I only remember that it had eight holes with which one could play the scale and we learned to do that in the first lesson. Well, whoop-de-doo! This flute has only six holes. So, I am mystified as to how I am going to play a scale--if I could recognize it if I did play it. I even played the accordian for three years and the scale is as foreign to me as the subtleties of soccer. Are there any subtleties in soccer??




The first challenge will be playing the same note on purpose. Place a few fingers over some selected holes and blow. Nice sound. Do the same thing again and blow a little harder. Ah, different sound. Place the fingers exactly the same and blow again. Another sound. Ah, hah. How one blows into the instrument causes different notes with the fingers in the exact same placement. I am beginning to gain much admiration and respect for Douglas Spotted Eagle and Carlos Nakai and my friend High Eagle.




The flute and carrying case are pictured to the right. You can also see a pitch covered basket made by a Paiute lady and a rattle made by an Iowan Indian. I purchased the basket during our Momorial Day trip to Eastern Oregon and the rattle while at the powwow held at Wallowa, Oregon in July.






What kind of flower do you have between your nose and your chin? Ans. Tulips.

What did the the tie say to the hat? Ans. You go on a head, I'll just hang around.

I have been having an Ambrosia melon explosion out of the garden and it is ummmm, ummmmm good! Also, fresh corn on the cob every day. That is ummmm, yummmm good, too.
You can see the melons and the garden spot below. I have been throwing dozens of yellow squash and cucumbers away because we can't keep up with them. Too bad.











Until later. Keep eating those peaches.
Papa Coyote



1 comment:

RasJane said...

Well, the peaches are all tken care of, the garden is cleaned out, and our family has grown by one little boy, and you still haven't updated your blog?