An accounting of some ventures in the life of grandma and grandpa for the kids, grandkids, friends and those who drop by for a visit.

Tuesday, June 17, 2008




You see the koi? Since I had not sighted a single goldfish in the pond this year (Richard and I had managed to introduce 35 of them into the pond last summer), I figured that none had wintered over. I did find no more than a dozen or so dead ones during the winter in the skimmer box. With the granddaughter coming out for Father's Day, I decided to buy some fish for the pond so that she might watch the fish in the pond. This year I really splurged. I bought 3 koi ($7.95 a piece). We caught a few fleeting glimpses of them on Father's Day and don't think L ever did see one. Bummer! So, tonight about an hour or two before dark I am standing on the corner of the deck looking into the pond to see if I can see one or all three of the koi. (This afternoon I did see one hanging out on the skimmer box side of the pond [west side] apparently eating dead algae off the bottom of the pond.) I could not believe my eyes. I saw four (Yes! FOUR! fish swimming on the west side of the pond. I reported the incidence immediately to J. Amazingly, the four were still hanging around and J saw them. But, her keen eye discerned that none of the four were the koi that I had put into the pond on Saturday. Some of the goldfish survived and they are very actively darting around the pond. Or some person is playing tricks on Papa Coyote. No, nobody tricks the Trickster! Well, maybe Richard. They are about five inches long----the same size as the koi. When I put the goldfish in the pond last summer, they were about one and one-half inches long. So they did winter well. Now, I am curious to see if any more spring to life in the next few days. Could the frog be next???? If that frog springs to life, I am going to call him or her, Jesus!!

No comments: