An accounting of some ventures in the life of grandma and grandpa for the kids, grandkids, friends and those who drop by for a visit.

Sunday, September 7, 2008

A September Saturday

Jand I spent Saturday in Boise . Here is what we did after I finished the project Friday on the garage. This is one of the trim boards. I couldn't believe how much this board had warped. Also, a pretty good case for the argument about how much the quality of the lumber has detiorated over the years. I should have used cedar instead of pine, I did replace this board with cedar and really need to replace all the trim on the garage with cedar, at least on the south side where I get the most weathering.
A little project of my own. You can see the peeling paint on the trim. This is the back side of the garage. It is the south side and the sun can be blistering and with the changing of weather patterns that we have experienced in the last 20 years, most of the driving rain and snow hits against this side. Storms now come in from California rather than from Alaska. Yeah, that's right. We have a much warmer climate, but those who think of Idaho has a cold barren wasteland just keep thinking that way. At 1.6 million we already have too many people.
I enjoyed spending Saturday with son, D, moving a wall. H asked if I was not having as much fun working with D on the wall moving as I had fishing with D in the mountains. Is this woman serious??? The question almost, almost I say, left me speechless. I will have to admit that my legs are not as sore the next morning, but my shoulders and arms are feeling like I put in a days work. I have Thoraxic Outlet Syndrome and it is a condition that limits how much work I can do with my arms overhead.
Nice to see software engineers actually doing some work! Haha. D using the reciprocating saw to start the job of removing the wall of the laundry room. It was a beautiful day and we should have been fishing a high mountain lake. Sigh!


View from the garage of the wall that we removed then moved into the garage thirty inches to create an alcove in the laundry room to place the washer and drier. Now D and H will have the room on the opposite wall to put the cupboards that H bought so that she will have a lot more storage in the laundry room. With another baby on the way and plans for one or two more, she needs the storage room.

D screwing a wall into another wall. We used all screws and no nails on this project. I learned to use screws to fasten everyting while building sets for the local Little Theater. When D and I decided that we had done one of the walls incorrectly, it sure was easy to change because all the fatening had been done with screws rather than nails. The task of roughing out the alcove is nearing completion. One more wall to put up to D's right. We had to improvise and make the two side walls (about 30" wide) out of 2x2's so that there would be room to put a new washer and drier when they have to replace what they have. Even with the two 2x2 walls, it will be a tight fit to squeeze these modern appliances into the alcove.

After a hard day at the Art in the Park, visiting dad's relatives, and shopping, it is nice to relax with a ride around the yard on one's four-wheeler. Thanks, cousin C.

Feeding the lady bugs. Actually, ants, but to this two-year old every bug is a lady bug. And she stomps them, too.

Helping Mom by adding ice to the ice cream maker (in this case sorbet maker).

This is the result of a little girl trying to keep up all day with her 63 year old Gramma. Hmmm. The old gal can tire out pretty fast unless she has her nose to the shopping trip trail. I will have to compliment her on not buying anything at the yard sale. At the yard sale she gave Brian, for his birthday, a sack full of seriously tasty molasses cookies which are one of his favorites. He gave one cookie to L then hid the rest of them away from the ravenous relatives. I did hijack three the night before so that I could approve them for gift giving and be able to lend my expert opinion on this blog page as to the taste and quality of the cookie. Yup, darn good cookies! J also made key lime cookies which were pretty good, but she is still experimenting with the recipe and is not yet satisfied with the end result. Keep on testing I say!!!

This is a watermelon sorbet made by H which was really tasty and refreshing after a very good dinner of barbecued chicken on a stick and a couple good salads with several types of fresh tomatoes. Pretty tasty after my son worked me all day, I say there---all day, Good thing I didn't show up until ten in the morning.

L gets a watermelon sorbet treat made by her mother. L had just woken from a short nap started at the dinner table. Seems as Gramma had taken her to B and J's yard sale where L got to visit with daughter C, who L really likes. Nine year old pretty girls are very cool to an almost-three year old. Besides C is really nice and L loves her. Then Gramma and Granddaughter went to Art in the Park where L got one cheek painted with a heart and another with a butterfly. Pretty cute. They got to ride the shuttle bus which L thought was a fun adventure until the bus driver scared her out of her wits when he released the air to open the door. She did not know that loud noise was coming. Then, of course, if Gramma J is with ten miles of Ross, there is the obligatory trip to Ross which of course is another credit card ambush.
We had a fun day and J drove home a tired Papa Coyote.
See you all later,
Papa Coyote saying keep the line tight and the tip up










No comments: