An accounting of some ventures in the life of grandma and grandpa for the kids, grandkids, friends and those who drop by for a visit.

Monday, March 17, 2008

Dead! Gone in a Blaze of Glory


It is said that all good things must come to an end. As I write this I am pondering what was good about the stove. Well, it did last a long time. J said the oven never heated correctly. Judging on how hard a time I had trying to regulate the temperature to cook my elk sausage, I would agree with J. The second batch of elk salami just plain got solidified. But this stove did boil water like a champ.
The right front burner often had to be jostled to cause contact. On March 13, J jostled and the stove just decided that it was not going to take being jostled and jolted any longer and fought back. J encountered a shower of sparks. She went ahead and jostled the stove again and this time a shower of sparks came out of the back burner. You can see it laying to the side after the battle. J won and the stove lost. J pulled the stove from the wall and pulled the plug. End of battle. Oh, the front burner is welded to the contact now.
Since we have subscribed to Consumers' Report our appliances have begun to mysteriously malfunction. Coincidently, you say? Well, why does it just happen to be that the appliances featured in the latest CR are the ones that are dying? Could J be sabotaging these appliances so that she can have brand new Big Girl toys? Could it be that the washing machine was 32 years old and the stove is in its mid-20's? My daughter quickly comes to the defense of her mother, Of Course, and cites the age of the applieances.
It really is getting to be hard to get some Big Boy toys collected when we keep going out and buying Big Girl toys. I will have to admit that I do like my clothes clean and my physique will attest to my love of J's creations hot off the stove. The bad news is that the new stove has a convection oven and by all accounts the cinammon rolls will be even better from this oven. Oh, My, My!
I talked to my sister and her husband this weekend. R had brought a rotisseried chicken at Safeways in Casa Grande. He and my sister ate it and by 10:00 pm were violently sick. He is 67 and she is 73. By 3:00 am R calls 911 and they are hauled to the hospital by ambulance. After a two day stay, they are back home. I asked R if he had words with Safeway yet. He says he intends to, but he was so sick from the food poisoning that now he can hardly walk from bed to the kitchen. He got an infection to go along with the food poisoning and had to have a heavy dose of antibiotics. He says that he had a really bad nightmare at the hospital. He dreamed that the gsoline prices were going up alot. When he got out and saw the gas price, he wished he was back in his nightmare. The nightmare was not as bad as real life!
I need to go tie some #18's and #20 flies for the next foray to the Owyhee River to attempt to catch those big brown trout the river is becoming so famous for.
Yeeeeooowwww!
Papa Coyote wishing that all your trails be slightly downhill and the smoke blows into the other guys face and you can continue to fantasize about doing in all the mosquitos.

2 comments:

RasJane said...

Interesting too, that she takes off to spend a week with her daughter and grandsons just in time for you to deal with the oven.
We had elk sausage for breakfast this am and quite enjoyed it. Except G. He won't try anything "different" right now. I think he's holding out for another batch of french fries from Grandma.
good luck installing the new stove!

RasJane said...

Where does it say that a stove and washer are "big girl toys?" J