An accounting of some ventures in the life of grandma and grandpa for the kids, grandkids, friends and those who drop by for a visit.

Thursday, August 13, 2009





































J and I used our WorldMark membership to rent a two bedroom, roomy condo in McCall for one night. Cost $77. We ate out at Lardo's Tuesday night and then at at my favorite breakfast restaurant, the Pancake House. The Pancake House is an 11,000 sq. ft. restaurant. During the ski season the wait to get a table can be an hour--for breakfast. I attended a week-long economics workshop about a fifteen years ago held at the Shore Lodge in McCall. Attendees were teachers from around the U.S. The lead professor was from Florida State Univ. He conducts these workshops for an Economics Foundation. He has conducted workshops in every state of the Union and says the the McCall Pancake House is by far the best place in America to get breakfast. He felt so strongly about this place that he chartered a school bus and required every teacher to board the bus and eat breakfast there. He bought. He had his camera ready and when the pancakes and cinnamon rolls were served, or the biscuits and gravy, he had his camera ready to capture the shocked look on the face of the participants. The pancakes and cinnamon rolls are just huge.
You can see pictures taken as we traveled over a dirt road for 28 miles up the Middle
Fork of the Weiser River to get to Donnelly, ID. We stopped in to take pictures of the failed Tamarack Ski Resort. You can see the big hotel in mid consturction when the bank Credit Suiss finally pulled the plug on the owners. This is a huge operation. The bank that loaned the money for the ski lifts is having the ski lifts removed for lack of payment. Quite a blow to the local economy. Some pretty good prices on some multi-million dollar homes are to be had.
The first three pictures show the condo where we spent the night.
On the way up I took a side trip to Brundage Reservoir to look for bolete mushrooms that a club member had reported were just beginning to flush in the area. I spent an hour walking around and only found a fool's hen for my efforts. When I get home the next day and checked my e-mail, two members are bragging about the boletes they found around Brundage Res. Huh, I must have been looking in the wrong place or I am blind.
On the way back home J and I stopped and picked three pints of huckleberries. Yummy.
Papa Coyote is traveling to Post Falls, ID tomorrow to attend my mother's side of the family re-union. J cannot accompany because she has a booth a the Eagle bizarre. I am looking forward to seeing cousins and the few aunts and uncles that are still living. I have the camera battery charged.
Yeooooowww, the Mariner game is on. Gotta go. Mariners won 1-0 in fourteen innings last night. I watched it all. Griffey won the game with a pinch-hit single. Wowzies!
Papa Coyote loves you all.

2 comments:

RasJane said...

Maybe your friends took all the mushrooms!
Have fun at the reunion. Wish I could go. Are you on the flat stanley group e-mail for the Stockton reunion? They're planning another big one for next year. I sent Peggy McMahon your email, but I don't know if you made it to the list. We have funny relatives, to be sure!

troutbirder said...

Trout fishing in the mountains. I love it. Speaking of baseball, I've given up on my Twins. The pitching has collasped. Mauer is back in the groove though so tell your guy he better go .400 to take that batting title. :)