An accounting of some ventures in the life of grandma and grandpa for the kids, grandkids, friends and those who drop by for a visit.

Tuesday, April 22, 2008

ISAT Time



















In Idaho the seniors must have passed a test (well sort of) before they can graduate. This is the week that the sophomores are being test at the school in which I teach. We are forbidden to give homework to the sophomores during the testing week. Since over half of my classes are sophomores, teaching has come to halt. I am showing a video called "More than Bows and Arrows" which I find to be a very good cataloging of the contributions that the American Indians have made to our lifestyle. We learned the principles of democracy and the concepts of a democratic republic from the Six Nations Confederacy. We certainly did not bring those concepts from the despotic governments of Europe from which our forefathers fled.

Today I started the movie Dances with Wolves. The majority of my students have not seen the movie. Part of the class is designed to teach how the Indians have been portrayed by Hollywood. We watched the first movie John Wayne starred in (the Indians were portrayed in stereotypical bad guy roles or the one good, faceless servant of the white hero. Dances with Wolves is certainly a complete reversal of the old portrayal of the Indians by Hollywood, but still does not get away from the violent stereotype that whites traditionally view the Indians. Later the students will see Smoke Signals. That movie is written by Sherman Alexie, a Spokane Indian and one of my favorite authors. The movie portrays modern day Indians with their modern day problems and puts on exhibit the unique Indian humor. A great movie if you are in need of a good movie to watch.

But, the point is that one week of teaching has been put on hold, but not completely lost.

I have taken pictures of our flowering plants. As you can see my out-of-control fire has pretty well done in my tulips. Daffodils are doing well and several have yet to bloom. It is still pretty cold around here with a high of 42 predicted for Thursday.

I have settled on a utility trailer to haul around my kickboats. I have been watching ads since December on Craigslist. I think I have found a good deal and the right size trailer. Will be picking it up on Wednesday. The pick up of the trailer has been a bit of a circus since the hitch on the trailer in Boise doesn't fit either of the two balls on my trailer hitch. So I had to find a stinger hitch on Craigslist and buy another ball. Sorry, D. You had it right at Christmas. I never dreamed you would be so right on for a Christmas present.

I am thinking that D will have to come out so that the two of us can have a few hours of backing a trailer up. We need practice and lots of it. Do you suppose a few bottles of beer and wine can get us straightened out?

For some reason the picture of the daffodils will not upload to this blog. So, since some of J's sewing creations have appeared in my camera, I will put those on the blog instead. They look as good as the daffodils, anyway.







No comments: