An accounting of some ventures in the life of grandma and grandpa for the kids, grandkids, friends and those who drop by for a visit.

Sunday, April 20, 2008

Saved Some Money with a Little Internet Seach

Two months ago we received an offer from the Hanigan dealership in Ontario from whom I purchased the Dodge pickup. They would put a rain guard on my windshield, replace the windshield wipers and replace the air in my tires with nitrogen for $59.95. I did not even stir. Two weeks ago we received the same offer in the mail, except no windshield wipers--this for $29.95. The old Coyote stirred. This might be tempting so I went to the computer to check out these two products. The windshield rain guard looked to have some merit, but I could buy it online for 8.95 plus shipping. That was a lot cheaper than $29.95. Now how about this nitrogen idea? Hmmm. The jury seems to still be out on that one. I found way too many people had some pretty good explanations for not using nitrogen. Would not be harmful and may have good effects, but, basically, if a person checked the air pressure in their tires about every six weeks or so, there was little reason to use the nitrogen. Besides, the nitrogen is not free.

I went to the local hardware store to get some stuff to tune up the lawn mower and asked Steve about the wipe-on rain guard. He said he uses it and thinks it is a great product. He said you don't really even need to turn on the windshield wipers and it is a lot easier to wash off the bugs with the rain guard on. So, I bought the large size bottle for--now get this-- $5.00!! I wiped it on the windshield of the pickup as you can see me doing in the picture, put it on the windshield of the Toyoto and the back window and put it on all the windows of the van. I still have enough leftover to do another car. Anybody interested? Since the windows have to be really clean before applying, our car windows are looking pretty good right now. If I had taken all three cars into Hanigan's, I could have paid $89.85 to have this done and they only would have done the windshield. What a deal!!! Took about an hour and half to do the three cars. I did not get the nitrogen in the tires for the price, but I am unconvinced nitrogen in the tires is worth paying for.
Hanigan thought he could put one over on the Old Coyote! Fool!!! Hahaha

I will let you know how it works after we have had a rain. The real selling point for me was that I might have an easier time washing the bugs off the windshield. Driving along the Snake River in the early evening can really be a messy experience.

Q: When is a car not a car?
A: When it turns into a garage.

Q: How much do pirates pay for their earrings?
A: a Buccaneer!

Q: Why did M blush when he opened the refrigerator door?
A: He saw the salad dressing.

Yikes, it is time for another post,
Papa Coyote

No comments: