An accounting of some ventures in the life of grandma and grandpa for the kids, grandkids, friends and those who drop by for a visit.

Thursday, April 17, 2008

The Journey Continues







The reminder from KBSU Radio, our local NPR affiliate, came in the mail three weeks ago that we needed to renew our membership. I did. At the bottom of the pledge to be returned was a notice asking members to volunteer to work the phone bank on shifts during the on-air pledge drive which is currently going on. I did. Two weeks ago I got a phone call saying that we had been accepted. So Jane and I were put on the 3-5 pm shift Wed. April 12, the first day of the drive. We go through some training via CD on a notebook computer. I am thinking, "I hope I can do this." J says, "What have you gotten us into? I am not an officey type." I know I am not. Geez. So we enter the room and find a table with nine notebook computers each with its own head phone. The team leader is a freshman at BSU earning some work study money. Fortunately, she is nice and helpful (and cute) as is everybody else. I grab a place at the table which turns out to be the #8 slot. J comes in a little later and grabs an empty chair which turns out to be the #2 slot. In the two hours I get three phone calls. J gets a dozen or more. She is working away big time and I am visiting with the cute freshman team leader. Come to find out that the calls come into the #1 computer first and then work their way down the line. #8 computer only gets a call if the first seven are busy. For most of our shift nobody sat at the #1 computer. Oh, did the Papa Coyote luck out this time. J, who was volunteered for the duty by her favorite Coyote, vowed the Coyote owed her BIG TIME! I had to take her to a favorite Thai restaurant in Boise after our shift.






J and Barb, They did go a shopping a couple Saturdays ago. Bad News I can assure you. They are just looking mind you, but before J can get home I get a message that a used furniture store (a rip off joint) in Boise wanted J to know that the owners of a table had called and accepted her offer of $350 for a table. What!!!??? When J gets home she assures me that it is a very good deal, long enough for all the family to sit down for a dinner, it is teak and very good deal. Tuesday we go in and pick it up. J and I struggle to get it out of the store and into the pickup. Store clerks offer no help. Table is heavy. Bringing it into the house is a tight squeeze and in the process J utters an o' darn. Seems as though the leg came off in her hand. Turns out it was broken. The former owners made a patch job--just enought to get it sold. J should have looked at the table better before buying it. So we go to WoodCrafters after serving our tour of duty at KBSU Radio to see if we can order some teak wood to make another leg or find a craftsman who could do that for us. The clerk looks at the leg and says well teak is pretty hard to come by, but this is not teak. #2 reason why Jane got a bad deal. Turns out the wood is walnut.






When we can find a leg or have one made, I will have to take the table apart in order to place the leg in the table. Then I have to drill some holes and glue the leg to the table leg supports with doweling. Oh, joy! Maybe that is what J meant by me owing her BIG TIME! I am not too sure, but I won't have to make the table leg.






Got a notice that one of my life insurance policies is not such a good deal and the premiums will begin escalating every quarter. Meet with our insurance guy, J Yano, at Ogawa's in Ontario. He buys J and me our lunch while we go over the options. I have to have insurance on my life so that J can live a comfortable life after I go to the happy mountain meadows where all good Coyote's go after this life on Earth. For another hundred $ a month for the next 20 years J will have peace of mind. All this happiness is contigent on my passing a health test. I had better start studying.






J traded her brother and sister-in-law a bunch of sewing for doing wills, powers of attorney, and some disolution agreement or whatever. Lots of paperwork is all I know, but the pups now will know what is up when we pass on. Somebody (D or S are you up to this?) will be instructed to scatter my ashes on Monumental Ridge east of Catherine Peak. Great place. Will put me for eternity among the Sheepeater Indians' mountain sheep blinds. Don knows exactly where to go.






I took a walk this afternoon and walked along the slough and into the poplar copse near Susan's house. The slough is up a little. The beaver have been working hard as you can see by the picture. Also came across a small skull a little bigger than a tennis ball. See picture.






I think the Mariner game is about to come on and I have to grade quizzes and a really poorly written senior project. I don't know if the kid will ever get approval and be able to graduate. He has, at best, a weak understanding of the English language which is the language spoken in his home since birth.






Bye, Bye



Papa Coyote

No comments: