An accounting of some ventures in the life of grandma and grandpa for the kids, grandkids, friends and those who drop by for a visit.

Monday, May 19, 2008

Dinner and Testing

The picture is borrowed from the internet. Funny thing about morels--they have a tendency to take on the color of where they are growing. That makes them hard to see; not all the time, but often enough. They kind of blend in like rattlesnakes and kind of like the same domain. One might be well advised to move cautiously and know where thee hand is about to adventure.

The roasted chicken with the morels was scrumpdeliliscious. A little rice and the broth of the chicken mixed with the morels--oh, that was good!

The word is that the bluegill and crappie are biting at Paddock Reservoir and they are running on the large size this year. Oh, my, but the fly fishing is going to be goooooood! Yeeeeeeoooooowwwwwwww! I tied some Hare's Mask nymphs, but mixed the hare's fur with buffalo fur. I really like tying flies with buffalo fur. It makes a very realistic looking nymph with good bouyancy if it is to be fished near the surface or can be weighted with a lead wrap which is the way I tied these tonight.


Graded the tests and had one student score a perfect grade and another miss one question. I bribed them with a Weiser Classic Candies Bear Claw Award--one for the highest score and one for the highest score above their test average. One student score 22 points above his test average and a Mexican boy (great freshman 400 meter sprinter) scored 23 points above his test average. Oh, yeah, Mexicans love chocolate. I have eight students taking the final exam Thursday. Grade those and it is time to go fishing. Yeah, Baby!

I mowed the lawn on Saturday. As J and I sat on the deck eating roasted chicken and morels tonight, we noticed that the yard was going to need mowing tomorrow. Now come on! I just mowed it two days ago. The lawn is really looking good this year. I guess it was that dose of fertilzer I gave it this spring, or maybe the double dose last fall--once in late September and once again in late November. Or possibly the aeration. Nowlin Yard Service said that aerating the lawn really works. Might have been a well spent $75. Last Saturday I put on a granulated, time release insecticide. I get a lot of little white millers which means that I have sod worms. They are not welcomed guests, eat way too much and don't know when to leave.

Papa Coyote is reading In Spite of the Gods so had better get to bed for his night time story. NPR featured a new novel on India called White Tiger. Sounded pretty good. I think J and I will read that next. Got to keep up with what is going on in the country D visits a couple times a year because of his work.

May all your trails be slightly downhill and may the rains bring big, fat morels.

No comments: