An accounting of some ventures in the life of grandma and grandpa for the kids, grandkids, friends and those who drop by for a visit.

Sunday, May 11, 2008

The Stove Now Fits Against the Wall




As you can see the stove now fits snuggly against the wall. Of course, the process was a struggle and worse than I had imagined. To start with I could not force the cable down through the access hole that we had drilled when we remodeled the kitchen back in the seventies. So downstairs to see where I could get a hold of the cable to pull from underneath. Not so fast, buddy. The cable poked up through the floor on the living room side of the wall, not the storage room side where I have fairly easy access. So after careful consideration, consideration because I have to remove two shelves of books and remove the ceiling portion of a bookshelf, I did all this work only to find the cable was four inches above the other bookshelf. So put all those books back, put the ceiling back and do the same with the other bookshelf. Still can't pull the cable down. So, go get a piece of rope, wrap around the cable (still not easy to get to even though books and ceiling tile had been removed) and pull the cable. Ah hah! Success. Replace all the books and ceiling tile (this turns out to be the major part of the whole project) and back to the stove. I had to cut a board and use the pocket jig to screw holes into the end of the board so that I could attach the board to the floor board in the stud wall and the top to the cross piece of 2x4 where we had originally attached the plugin for the stove. Now I could move the plugin down three inches. Then I cut a piece of hardboard and cut a hole out in the correct place that matches the shape of the plugin. Used a piece of cardboard to make a template so that I could get the hole in the right place. WaLa, It worked. That was an ugly job that I am glad to have it behind me.
All the hostas that I transplanted are thriving. Whew! I have been digging in the flower bed in front of the deck in preparation to divide and transplant mores hostas. Dug out the grass around the trees in the front yard and have those edged. Place is starting to look a little better. I have poor water pressure in the underground sprinkling system. Don't know what that is all about. I think I am in for a lot of work to fix this.
Fertilized the flowering plants and the hostas with 16-16-16 formula. Have a time release granulated insecticide to spread over the lawn. It was too windy today to spread the insecticide. I had thought of having a yard service come to do this, but did not like the price they wanted. So, I continue to limp along with the DYI approach.
Happy Mothers' Day to all you Mothers. Thanks for the calls. Pretty quiet day on the home front. J sewed all day on a wedding dress and cut out fabric to make bags to sell at the Fiddle Festival. She has rented a booth at the Vendome during the week of the Festival. This morning J was thrilled to check her Etsy account and see that she had sold a bag. Her first that was not a friend or family. She also sold a bag to the boys' basketball coach at FHS that he gave to his wife for Mother's Day. It is a wine bag--black with orange ribbon trim and her initials on the bag. We hope that she is pleased.
Time to howl,
Yeeeeeoooooowwww
Love you all,
Papa Coyote

2 comments:

RasJane said...

Yay PapaCoyote! We knew you could do it. It's good to see that the house keeps you thinking. Wouldn't want you to lose that mental edge. :)

troutbirder said...

Enjoyed your blog. Thanks. Amazing how our thoughts on some subjects were so similar. I think it must be the effects of all those years of teaching!